The weather is warming up with the recent arrival of spring and new growth is starting to pop-up almost everywhere we look at the historic Storke Dairy. The work we put in during the winter to rejuvenate our fields is starting to pay off and our new pups are taking in all the sights, smells, and experiences for their first time.
Your garden is probably also starting to show some signs of growth and we hope that encourages you to get an early start and make the most of the growing season.
Benefits of Small Gardens
- Even a small garden means extra food for you and your family. The best part is you know what went into it and when it was harvested.
- Gardens create a perfect habitat for pollinators like bees and hummingbirds.
- Open space and green crops are a sight just about every Carson Valley resident treasures. While maintaining a garden may take a lot of work, the reward is worth it. For me, gardening is a relaxing and productive use of my time that lets me get my hands in some soil.
What to do With Your Unused Fruits and Veggies
- The Carson Valley Community Food Closet is often in short supply of fresh vegetables and fruit. You can help supply fresh, nutrient-rich food by bringing in your surplus produce or you can “grow a row” for the Food Closet. Either way they are eager to take your donation.
- If your home-grown produce isn’t quite up to par to eat, composting is a great option that will help you down the road. Composting takes unusable organic material and breaks it down to help improve soil and reduce the need for chemical fertilizers. To learn more about composting, check out this helpful website.
Pair Your Garden-Fresh Crops with Our Pasture-Raised Meat for a Taste of Northern Nevada
No food is more satisfying than foods picked fresh from your garden and used to create a nourishing meal for you and your family. Packed with mouth-watering flavor and nutritious vitamins, home-grown veggies outshine the “ready-made” meals from the grocery shelves.
That’s why we raise high quality meats to provide you with the peace of mind that you get the best flavor meat that is also full of nutrients. Combined with your homegrown bounty, our farm fresh mainstays will top off your family’s meals with the best meat around.
Is your mouth watering yet? Learn more about our Ranch Boxes.